Thursday, February 26, 2009

~Redecorating on a budget tip #1~

My Before & After:




What you'll need:

  1. Heavy duty staple gun
  2. Heavy duty staples
  3. Fabric scissors
  4. Hammer
  5. Screw Driver or flat bar
  6. Needle nose plyers (just in case)
  7. 1/3 yard of fabric per chair (give or take)
  8. Less than 2 hrs of your time :)

Hint: I used 1 1/2 yards of fabric for my 4 chairs

I bought the fabric and staples for under $20!! 30% off at hobby lobby!! :) I think I'm going to do two other "bar" height chair I have too!


Step 1: Grab chair that needs to be reupholstered:

Just an FYI- the stains are from trying to "clean off" small drink spills- ie. the cleaners only made my old fabric worse :(



















Flip chair over~



















Step 2: Unscrew the seat cusion from the chair: 4 easy screws here!


















After removing seat cusion from chair, remove black liner (if you have one) with flathead screwdriver or flatbar:
















Step 3: Line up your fabric (if you have a print) and start stapling your fabric onto right over your old fabric. Make sure you are pulling the fabric on tightly before stapling :)

Hint: You might clean off your old fabric really good before applying your new fabric!

















What I though made it easier was to staple the top & bottom first:



















Then slowly work my way around each corner. Do the corners in cross pattern if possible. Meaning, do top left, bottom right then top right, bottom left. This should help with fabric bunching.

After your done with stapling the fabric on to the wood seat it should look like this:




















Step 4: Cut the extra fabric off & staple black backing back on. Make sure to find your screw holes and cut away any fabric that is in the way. (Usually you can screw right through the fabric, if you want or need to, instead of cutting around it.)



















Finally: Screw the seat on to the chair!






















And Enjoy your Finished Project:


















5 comments:

  1. Great work, Ameron! This tutorial looks so helpful! I will definitely refer to it if I re-upholster anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I really need to get around to redoing our chairs.

    ReplyDelete