Thursday, December 2, 2010

*Cloth diapering*

My 2 cents about cloth diapers!

First off I must say, I'm not a super ecofriendly person. I'm not out to change the world over cloth diapering. I'm no hippy by any means. I just like to do what makes sense. Cloth diapering makes sence for us. I do like that we are doing some small part to help reduce waste. But, we don't ONLY use cloth diapers, we used disposables for the first month almost exclusively. Then we slowly worked our way into cloth diapering more and more. We still use disposables when necessary, however we really like to limit it now. But come on there is a reason disposable were created ;)

Let's get started!

Biggest turn off: cleaning out pooh...guess what?! Your a mom now, your going to be messing with lots of fun stuff that dirty cloth diapers don't even come close to! Really! It's not a big deal and bonus, if your breastfeeding- no dunking the pooh out! I don't even think you would need to until solids on formula feed babies either. But, breastmilk IS water soluble and will come out in the wash! When I read this I emediately wanted to give it even more of a chace. Breastmilk doesn't smell or stain as bad as formula, love breastfeeding but thats another blog topic in it's self!! There's really not too much pooh at first anyway...just ummm...runny!

Second turn off: laundry, yeah...you have alittle extra laundry..but when considering that I was having to wash an outfit each time I change her from disposables...I'm sure it's about the same! Plus, I just think about how these diapers are not going in a landfill and it makes it all worth it to me.

Third turn off: The hubby not wanting to do it with me. He was alittle hesitent at first. But he warmed up fast to cloth diapering once I got a few different diapers in my hand to show him how cool they were! He loves saving money, not having to buy diapers at $20 a pack is awesome! Yes, the initial cost was high, but worth it in the end. See for your self at diaper pin's website.We can use these diapers over and over, and over again! Including on our future children! Take that to the bank!! Maybe even sell them afterward! Yes, people buy *used* cloth diapers! It's true! At near full price too!! Crazy, I know!

What we did and are currently doing:

We have bought a few different types that I read other moms using and liking. There are even trail packages that you can buy for just trying out, only $10.00 + a refundable depoit just send it back if you don't want them after the trail period (21 days) ends! Like this one from Jillian's Drawers. I didn't do that because they didn't have the diapers *I thought* I wanted in the package and I knew I didn't want to do the snapies...and because of personal reasons! I knew I wouldn't be working and money would be tight while I was in school. So, wanted to buy them before so that I knew I could have them when June came.

I first bought a prefold with cover, and a bumgenius. I hated the prefolds look and feel, I still plan on trying it. But she wont be able to fit in it for awhile! However, I tried the bumgenius out on my wonderful niece. She seemed to like it. So, I bought more :) and more! And other brands and ones that I found on sale.

We currently have: 7 bumgenius, 4 fuzzibunz, 3 grobaby, 1 rumparoo, & 1 bummis.

I only bought the rumparoo, grobaby, & bummis because they were on sale and I wanted to try something other than fuzzibunz and bumgenius, even thought I really liked both. Just wanted to get my "feet wet" with the other options out there even though those two are talked about over and over again when I read up on cloth diapers.

It's really easy peasy! Velcro or snap on just like disposables. Take off like disposables. Throw in a pail, much like disposables, only you have to put the velcro tabs on the washing tabs, so when you wash them later, the velcro doesn't ruin other items. Ugh I hate when that happens! Which is why I see why so many like the snaps. I read over and over again that the snaps where better, but I didn't believe it until I had my own and used them. I couldn't see how snaps could out do velcro, but it does. They adjust just as easy if not easier and are easy to use on a "squirmy baby" trust me, snaps are nicer. The velcro does wear fast too. We are only 2 months in and I can see the wear!

Washing:

Use warm/hot water and only use 1/4 the detergent (we like the 'ALL' free and clear-we now use it on all our clothes! We use to only use tide because I thought I was allergic to anything else! Ha!). As I start to run the water, I pull out all the inserts from the pocket diapers and pull out or unsnap the other inserts, etc. I run two whole cycles to make sure all the detergent is out (or else you will get a repel problem- ie not soaking up the pee! ) I also run two cycles on the dryer. (We have a really old set of washer and dryer so this is probably why we (<--- I) feel the need to run two complete cycles, most only run and extra rinse cycle in the wash! But, I like knowing they are clean and the detergent is really out) After they are done, I stuff them back and put them at her diaper changer- only takes me 5 min! Seriously! Ready for the next use! Which is where all the fun is!! June smiles when we put her cloth diapers on her! That's one reason I really like them! They are so soft and I like that there are no chemicals (like the dry max contreversy). Cloth diapering isn't for everyone, but I believe that it is making it's way back and for good reasons! If your wondering/debating on it...just try ONE! Just one! I'd be surprised if you didn't like it!

Oh, and if your wondering about going out in public with them on...don't sweat it! It's really no big deal! They don't leak!! I didn't understand how people could be so confident in a CD but now I see! I just take as many as I think I may need (probably less than sposies! :)). Then, when I have a dirty one, I put it in a baggie (they have specific ones you can buy, but I just use the arm&hammer 'disposable' diaper bags or a large zipp lock bag and make sure I take it out when I get home to put with the others in the hamper/pail. (you want them in a breathable area , not enclosed for long- trust me! Don't leave them in your diaperbag for days! lol )

Downsides: bulky & avalibility- I've only been able to buy online! :( Fast shipping but a store with them would be nice!
Upsides: raves about no diaper rashes, no need to run to the store because you used your last diaper, so soft - I can't say that enough...it's like spoiling your child! Seriously, it seems like a luxury to me now, less leakage!, saving money, pretty prints and colors, saving our landfills, adjustable fit everytime (One size option)...

Over all, I'm super glad I ignored the negative advice about cloth diapering! I went out on a limb because no one I know CDs (they might after they see me do it though!! :)) I took the risk and I am sooo glad I did! It's not for everyone but if your thinking about it, try it! You never know, you might be as surprised as I was! It really is easy and a luxury when you use the diaps like fuzzibunz, etc. There are so many brands out there to try and don't let that overwhelm you! Pick a couple and try them!!!! I've wasted money on worse things, I'm sure you have too! I'm soooooo glad I took the chance!

P.s. I love all the diapers we have! I'm not disappointed in any of them!!!! I just want more!! In pretty colors too! :)

Love,
Ameron, Josh, & June

No comments:

Post a Comment